Virtual reality, or VR, is rather a new didactic approach for vocational education and training and so far, just a handful of innovative teachers are experimenting it’s use, seeing the potential of VR as the new renaissance.
VR makes learning fun! It allows students to make experiences abroad and to meet and interact with students from other countries without ever having to leave the classroom. Imagine students visiting schools, laboratories, companies located in other countries whilst sitting at their desks. This is a new opportunity created by using Virtual Reality.
The objective of the project is to learn about using VR in education and training, and finally to create recommendations to teachers, IT-support and managers on what to consider when starting to use VR.
In this project, VR -environments GLUE and Altspace, then SPATIAL, are piloted to create international meeting points and places to teach, learn, co-create and share with peers, colleagues, teachers, students, experts, visitors, companies. VR will not only enhance digitalization strategies of the partners, but internationalization and networking as well.
We also provide a series of best practices in online teaching / blended learning, derived from times when contact lessons where not possible due to covid.
Benefits of the application of VR within teaching and learning:
- VR in education can replace textbooks with interactive educational experiences
- VR promotes Peer to Peer -interaction since students are encouraged to interact with each other
- VR motivates and engages students: the modern technologies attract students’ attention and promote their active involvement
- VR is inclusive: every student gets the same opportunity to enjoy the experience, it has potential to involve a wide range of students, such as students with special needs
- VR promotes imagination and creative thinking since the students will be transported out of their classroom.
Please read more in the Results -section!