Virtual reality, or VR, is rather a new didactic approach for vocational education and training and so far, just a handful of innovative teachers are experimenting it’s use, seeing the potential of VR as the new renaissance.
VR makes learning fun! It allows students to make experiences abroad and to meet and interact with students from other countries without ever having to leave the classroom. Imagine students visiting schools, laboratories, companies located in other countries whilst sitting at their desks. This is a new opportunity created by using Virtual Reality.
Benefits of the application of VR within the classroom:
- VR in education can replace textbooks with interactive educational experiences
- VR promotes Peer to Peer interaction since students are encouraged to interact with each other
- VR motivates and engages students: the modern technologies attract students’ attention and promote their active involvement
- VR is inclusive: every student gets the same opportunity to enjoy the experience, it has potential to involve a wide range of students, such as students with special needs
- VR promotes imagination and creative thinking since the students will be transported out of their classroom.
In this project, VR -environments “Altspace” and “GLUE” are used to create international meeting points and places to teach, learn, co-create and share with peers, colleagues, teachers, students, experts, visitors, companies. VR will not only enhance digitalization strategies of the partners, but internationalization and networking as well.
The objective of the project is to develop VR -environments in VET in order to create international meeting points and places to teach and learn. VR will be used within English and Maths lessons and will also be applied to the professional subject Electrics by creating international teachers’ teams who will work, develop and create contents together in order to provide students with an innovative and international learning experience. An additional aim of this project is to provide a series of best practices in online teaching/learning which will be collected by the best practices team.